Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Lath Laugh

I bit the bullet, and finally tackled my entire pile of dirty lath. I strung the scrubbing out over a few days, and even had a little fun with the drying process. With that roadblock out of the way, I can really get into some of the bigger pieces I have planned.

In each of these, the lath is mounted to another piece of unaltered, salvaged wood. Three of the compositions use varying lengths of 2x12, and the last image in this list is tacked to 1/2" ply.

Except for the frame, Good Fences(below) is lath in its natural, clean state. All other works have been brushed with linseed oil.

Good Fences 12x19.75
Since the house that I pulled these boards from was just down the alley, I thought an homage to neighbors was in order. (There was a beautiful wrought iron fence post in that yard, but I just couldn't get it out of the ground).

Family Tree 12x38
In most instances in woodworking the knot is an undesirable attribute. Knots form in a variety of ways; this one is partially encased (also called 'loose'), and most often happens when the tree grows around a dead branch. An intergrown knot is the base of a living branch. I've chosen to highlight this one for what it really is, growth in a new direction.

Desert Scene 12x21

...because who doesn't like clues that hint to ancient civilizations being so much better at things that we can't even comprehend? The high technology of the Stone Age, presented in wood!

Speaking of dry, I decided to be a little more free from the constraints of rectangles with this cocktail inspired piece.

Shaken, Not Stirred, 18x28.5

This piece does not actually float freely in space, though I am working on a model that does. Eleven elements of SNS are held in place by compression force only, no nails or glue. So far, changes in humidity haven't had any discernible affect.

I could really tighten up those gaps if I started sanding and planing. However, that process is a dust storm I'd rather avoid for now. Though, I do see future works being painted and stained (which means sanding).

And, I finally set up a winter work bench in the garage today. My next panel, made from pallet planks and shipping crate pieces, is ready at 22.5x70. Time to get to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment